The difference between a Passport Book and Passport Card:
- A Passport Card can only be used to travel by land or sea. (Crossing the border by car or by boat)
- A Passport Book has no restrictions (If you are flying to another country, you will need to obtain a passport book)
- An adult passport (ages 16 or older) is valid for 10 years.
- A minor passport (under the age of 16) is valid for 5 years.
- Regular Service: 7 to 10 weeks
- Expedite Service: 4 to 6 weeks
Documents needed to apply for a Passport:
- Citizenship Documents: This includes certified copies of birth certificates, naturalization certificates, or previous passport books or passport cards. (Effective January 9, 2017, customers must submit the original and a black and white letter size photo copy of the citizenship document. If the copy is not submitted there will be a $1.00 charge for the copy)
- Proof of Identity: Valid government issued Identification is required. (This includes a valid Driver’s License or State Issued Identification Card, previous U.S. passport book or passport card, Certificate of Naturalization, or Official U.S. military identification card ) If your identification is from a state other than Louisiana, you will need to provide a second form of identification (This includes a work identification card, school or college identification card, voter registration card, Medicare or insurance card, Social Security Card, or a Credit Card)
- Recent Color Photograph: The photo should meet the following requirements.
- In color
- 2″ x 2″ in size
- Taken within the past 6 months
- Full face, front view
- On a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in normal street attire (No uniforms, hat or headgear, or camouflage)
- No eye glasses except in rare circumstances of medical necessity (e.g., when a customer has had a recent surgery and eyeglasses are necessary to protect the applicant’s eyes during urgent travel.)
Under Age 16:
- Children must appear in person along with both parents. If one parent is unavailable, Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent must be submitted along with a photo copy of that parent’s identification, or Form 5525 Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances must be submitted.
Children 16 or older:
- Children must appear in person along with one parent.
Fees: (There are two fees associated with the application of a passport)
- Application Fee: $35.00 per passport (This fee can be paid by cash, check, or money order made payable to the “Lafourche Parish Clerk of Court”)
- Passport Fees: (This fee can be paid by only check or money order made payable to the “U.S. Department of State”)
- Expedite Fee: $60.00 (this fee is added to the Passport Fee)
|Passport Book||Passport Card|
|Adult (16 or older)||$130.00||$30.00|
|Minor (under 16 )||$100.00||$15.00|
Application for a U.S. Passport:
- You can pick up an application from our office and fill it out at home, fill it out when you come to apply for the passport, or fill it out online
U.S. Passport Service is offered at the Thibodaux office only.